AMMREN Training Programme!
African Media and Malaria Research Network (AMMREN) is organising a 3-day training programme for Health Journalists, student journalists, health professionls, NGOs in the health field and the general public. This training programme is aimed at building participants capacity to effectively and efficiently perform their duties.
See below for more information:
- Advanced Journalistic Writing and Editing
The course is hands-on and prepares participants for advanced reporting and editing. It covers salient areas including copy selection, tasting the copy, assessing the news value of information, writing a great feature or hard news report. This course provides skills in good editorial writing.
- Journalistic writing
- Steps in the editing process
- Editing symbols
- Style sheet/book
- Headlines and captions
- Proof reading
- Participants acquire skills in advanced journalism and editing
- Participants develop skills to groom young journalists into editors
- Participants able to publish magazines and other publications
Date: 11-13 September 2019
- Medical Journalism
The course exposes the candidate to the unique requirements of gathering, processing and dissemination of health information. The course builds the candidate in the principles of ethical communication using the traditional and new media channels. The course is meant to school the journalist and PROs in the vocabulary of public health and the best standard practices of advocacy, to ensure that health communication messages are rooted in the needs, language and context of the ordinary person.
- Effective health communication
- Ethics and Medical Journalism
- The role of the media in health promotion
- Interpreting scientific reports/data for news
- Engaging the community in health communication
- Health communication and social media
- Developing the health message (group work)
- Presentation, Wrap up/ Evaluation, Closing
- Participants acquire skills in effective health communication
- Participants acquire skills to interpret scientific data for effective communication
- Participants able to effectively report on health interventions and outcomes.
Date: 25-27 September 2019
- Communication Skills for Health Professionals
The course makes participants eternally aware of communication ‘speed bumps’ that affect peoples’ comprehension of health messages. The module for health professionals will equip health professionals with skills to provide information devoid of the usual technical language, jargon and in a humane manner. It gives participants the know-how to relay health messages using practical examples of everyday life and presenting information in a shape that is logical and meaningful to digest easily.
- Persuasive Communication
- Media advocacy in public health
- Identifying appropriate media tools for health communication
- Effective writing and presentation skills
- Translating Patient’s Charter into practice
- Using New Media to promote Health
- Developing the health message (Practical Session)
- Presenting the message (Practical Session)
- Participants gain understanding of how the media works
- Participants acquire skills to break down scientific data into simple language
- Participants acquire skills for effective health communication
- Participants acquire writing and presentation skills
- Participants acquire health worker-patients skills
Date: 7-9 October 2019
Journalists, Students in media studies, Public Relations Officers, Employees of NGOs working in health, Medical Doctors, Nurses, Other health related professionals, Journalists, Public Relations Officers, Graduates of media studies, Government and Private Sector Employees and Individuals interested in improving writing skills.
Tel: 0303933452/ 0553442105/0243054292